Here's our story as it unfolds one day at a time.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

'An Egg-citing Day'

Corney? I know, but I had to use it before anyone else does this weekend!

This is the first day in a long, long time that I haven't had a mile-high list of things to do or scheduled times that I have to be out of the house. "Scheduled times to be out of the house?" you say, well that's a different story for a different day.

Since today is also Bronze's incredibly long day at work I decided on some Easter projects for us to work on to keep ourselves entertained and to add a little fun to our lives at the moment. (Not that our lives are totally lacking 'fun' at the moment, it's just, well, different and kind of stressful/exciting/confusing/very busy! But like I said, another story for another day.)

Shall we get started?

I had a craft day planned last week, we decided to cancel it due to extenuating circumstances that were actually NOT related to the craziness of our own household, but some other issues that arose. I was still wanting to do some 'Eastery' things, even if it was just the kids and myself, so we did.

To get things going I got some eggs boiling,


Then we got busy stuffing plastic eggs.


We dug out all our eggs from last year.


Emptied out any old candy, yes, they still had candy from last year.


And filled a bowl with anything worth keeping.


We got the eggs all filled with NEW candy and goodies for the hunt at church on Sunday so we can drop them off this evening.


There was a little bit of taste testing the candy from last year, I think it passed.

After finishing with the plastic eggs we moved on to the next project.

Faberge Eggs!

I had seen a craft show about doing these but they used wooden eggs, dried flowers and special applique supplies. I thought it looked like a fun way to make some really pretty eggs and my mind started turning and trying to think of a less expensive version.


This is what I came up with. I bought some pretty tissue paper at a dollar store and had the other things at home.


Ardon got the floor mats all put together


and waited with excitement and anticipation!


We started by spreading water-thinned glue and sticking on torn pieces of tissue paper then painted over it with more water-thinned glue.


Elee woke up while we were in the middle of decorating so she got started on her eggs, decorating them with stickers and crayons(and gashes).


We made a huge mess but it was a ton of fun.


We were really happy with how they turned out. Ardon kept saying over and over again while we were working on them that this was the most fun craft he ever did in his life.

So simple and inexpensive, yet so much fun with a fancy result!

No comments:

Post a Comment