Here's our story as it unfolds one day at a time.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Journey

Where to start, that is a question I have asked several times over the last few months. It feels strange for me to blog about myself and I suppose I do it indirectly by blogging about my family but I feel awkward having a post that primarily revolves around me.
That being said, this past year has been quite a journey for me. I set out not knowing what to expect, and definitely not expecting the outcome I've had.

It started out at the end of last summer, I had lost a few pounds since the spring, it wasn't much but enough to light a little fire under me. Between that and just being sick of being over weight it gave me the desire to actually make another attempt at weight loss.

I've struggled a lot with my weight over the last 10-12 years but my biggest struggles were always AFTER having a baby. Unlike what you'd normally expect, I would always loose weight through my entire pregnancy and about 4-6 weeks after having a baby the weight would just start to pile on. I got to the point where I thought the only way to loose weight would be to get pregnant again. Even though we would love to have another addition, I wasn't a prime candidate after 3 complicated c-sections.

I started doing some serious research into a couple of weight loss options, I had tried several things in the past but had never really invested into a program. In the middle of my search I came across an ad for a weight loss program that a chiropractor was offering. I recognized the name because it was someone Bronze's sister was a nanny for, a few years back. I asked her about it merely out of curiosity because It seemed unusual that he would have a program like this, little did I know what I was getting myself into. She of course researched it for me and set up a time for us to meet with him to find out more about it.

At the first 'meeting' we sat in a room and watched a video of people who had been successful on the program then visited with the doctor for a short while. He said he'd let me think about and to get back with him if I was interested. I must admit, I was very skeptical. True, I didn't completely understand everything that was involved in the diet at the time, which is probably a good thing, but what he was offering still seemed like a stretch, 20lbs guaranteed in a month, yeah, right!

I left that evening less than thrilled with what I saw but decided I would talk it over with family before I made my final decision. After going over all the different options and cost associated with other weight loss programs this one was dubbed the best since it was, after all, guaranteed. What did I have to loose?!

If I wanted to start the program I was suppose to call the doctor's office the next Monday and set up a time that week to get started. As I was making plans to call I suddenly realized that my birthday was the following weekend with Elee's 4 days later and that if I started on a restricted/very specific food plan, which this was, I wouldn't be able to celebrate with all the yummy things that come with birthdays. Things like my mothers amazing chocolate sheet cake that has been a tradition with my family since before I was old enough to truly appreciate it! I questioned my commitment briefly but after a certain, pushy sister-in-law ( who I thought was going to join me in the program ) told me it was just 1 birthday and that there would always be something I decided to proceed as planned.

I will say, it was rough. Especially the first few weeks but as the weight kept coming off I was encouraged to keep going and I hit the 20lb guarantee at a month. The next 2 months after that I lost 15lbs a month and the weight kept coming off gradually. It was hard work, as weight loss usually is, I worked out 7 days a week and took up running after losing 50lbs. I have reached 70lbs so far and now consider myself an avid runner, something I never would have dreamt possible before and feel like I've made a complete lifestyle change.

Starting out on the diet I told Bronze that I was after all getting a little older and that I would never get back down to the weight I use to be, especially since I'd had 3 children. But after being able to get back into my wedding dress in May for our 10th anniversary I realized this was just a myth and felt like I could conquer the world.

Losing the weight and getting healthy has had a huge impact on my life, I am able to be a better wife, mother and person in general. I was able to be successful not just by my determination but by the encouragement and support of our families, the 'great job' texts after my weekly weigh-ins and my mom watching the kids so I could keep those appointments.

Now, a year later, I will be able to enjoy this birthday in shape and healthy, and yes, be able to have my cake and eat it too!

1 comment: