Here's our story as it unfolds one day at a time.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Conversation vs Communication

They are two very different things. Bronze and I are great at one of them, can you guess which one?
We were shopping earlier and as we were leaving the store Bronze made a comment about it being very difficult for one of the checkers to work there because they were a Klingon. Now, I know we've had our 'trekkie' moments (Star Trek for those of you unfamiliar with the terminology) but I was wondering what made this person a Klingon, could they possibly have a large protruding forehead with deep set wrinkles and ridges? Or maybe it was something else, maybe he heard them speak the Klingon language and noticed they had native Klingon cloths on. As I'm pondering the possibilities I hear Bronze's next comment, "it would be so hard to do everything with one arm!" "One arm!" I exclaim and he confirms what he just said. "Wow!" I think " this Klingon must have had some serious battle wounds!" I try to turn my head and see this creature he's talking about as we make our exit. As I look around I don't see anything that fits this description. I look at him questioningly and say "A Klingon?" I can tell he's having one of those 'oh, don't mind my crazy wife moments.' and he looks at me and says, "A SLING on. Yes honey, there's a Klingon working in Target and they lost an arm the last time they were in a fight!" "Oh," I reply, only slightly disappointed that my hopes for seeing a real life Klingon have been dashed to the ground.
I'm sure our fellow shoppers wondered what was wrong with us but we got a great laugh out of it. We definitely have very different ways of communicating, sometimes it's frustrating but we've been married long enough now that most of it's just laughable!

2 comments:

  1. that is more than laughable. that's down-right hilarious! i do the exact same thing, tho, so you're in good company. your babies are adorable, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your blog. It makes me smile, even laugh out loud, every time I read it. Give kisses to those adorable kids and let them know Aunt Louise sure loves them. Oh, and by the way, I thought grandma and I only had those moments of miscommunication. Ha-Ha.

    ReplyDelete